Applications for the 2020 Cadet Program are now Open.
Founded in 1973, Reitsma is a long established commercial building company operating throughout NSW. We have offices in both Sydney and Newcastle. The Company is focused on many facets of commercial construction specialising in Churches, Retail Automotive, Aged Care, Community Housing and Education. The Reitsma Cadet program is an important part of our business.
Our ideal candidates would be studying Construction Management at University, in third or fourth year. Generally, when in the office, the applicant will be required to work 4 days a week during university periods, and 5 days per week for the remainder. When working on site, the cadet will be required to work on Saturdays also, as necessary. The projects will be generally between $1 – $25 million dollars.
Rotation | All round experience in the commercial construction industry.
As part of our Cadet program, you will be placed on a rotation as follows:
- Eight months working on site as a leading hand / site engineer.
- Eight months working within the estimating department.
- Eight months working as part of a project team working on 2-3 various projects.
Upon completion of this rotation, you may have the opportunity to move into one of these fields.
Personal attributes | What the role requires:
- A strong work ethic.
- Ability to work within a team.
- Initiative and willingness to learn.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
About the Job
Working on Site
- Working with a site manager, assisting with the management of the day to day operations of the site.
- Communicating and managing the sub- contractors and suppliers on site.
- Assisting with set-out.
- General labouring.
- Checking material orders and quantities.
- Managing site documentation.
- Communicating with head office regarding various issues via email and telephone.
- Assisting with programming.
Working in the Estimating Department
- Liaising with sub-contractors and suppliers.
- Preparation and sending of sub-contract packages.
- “Take off” of all elements of construction
- Document control.
- Using Buildsoft and Buildtools.
- Develop an understanding of how to prepare and rate a bill of quantity. Prepare a tender submission.
Working within a Construction Project team
- Liasing with sub-contractors and suppliers for quotations and clarifications on their quotes.
- Processing sub-contractor and supplier invoices along with security of payment schedules.
- Managing the project document control.
- Preparation of sub-contract letting schedules.
- Subcontractor meetings.
- Using the following software packages – Buildtools / Buildsoft / Microsoft Excel / Microsoft Word / CHEOPS
- Preparing and sending RFI’s.
- Preparing and issuing variations.
- Meeting minutes.
- Preparation of sub-contracts and supplier orders
- Negotiating sub-contract agreements.
- Assisting the project manager in managing the project budget.